Saturday, April 16, 2011

Race Day

After a night of restless legs keeping me up and another early morning with a singing cat I got up and got ready for my 5k. The weather was hard to figure out but I knew I didn't want to wear cotton in case we did get stuck in the rain. We were ever so lucky that the rain held off until I could see the finish line. Though the new evil swear word WIND did not stay away. The first part of the race I really focused on staying with in distance of Hey Hey and Dud to keep myself from going out way too hard. The first mile was all flat except for speed bumps which I swore I would fall over. I do not pick my feet up high enough ever! But I made it over them all just fine. The second mile was a nice gradual uphill that I tried to power through and get closer to my friend who was first for the women. No matter how hard I tried I couldn't close the cap on her. She hasn't raced in 2 years and she was on a mission today. The last mile the wind hit and I kept telling myself " I DID NOT just bust my behind up that hill to give up bc it is windy"!! I was not letting it get all mental today and it worked. The timer was off at the finish line and so I was like a PR in this weather?? But no I had my trusty Garmin so I knew exactly what I got 23:11 (7:29 pace). I am happy with that since I had a 7:18, 14:50?? then lost some time in the wind. But I didn't die :)

Overall Dud, Hey Hey and I all went home with 1st place in our age group. I am liking my age group but I have only one more race season then I move up with the tough runners!

Well now that it is pouring I am just hanging low here at the cabin. I tried to nap but my foot is on fire so I am watching Celebrity Apprentice with an ice bag on my arch. Hoping to help Bri work on more windows this evening and a good night sleep.

No comments: