Monday, February 20, 2012

Motivational Ladies

In the past 8 years I have gone through so much and there have been 3 ladies who have been there the whole time. These three ladies were on my mind as I ran a very tough 6miles today. It reminded me of how hard the 8 years have been and they came to mind to push and cheer me on.

Let's back it up 9 years first to see how it all started. In the fall of 2003 I was on the XC team at the university and was eager for the incoming freshman. I did not have a grande ole time in college and had awful experiences with other girls. I just flat out did not make great friends with the ladies on the team. When Robyn started her freshman year I liked her very much and we got along. I was very busy with my senior year classes with my education degree so I don't exactly remember things outside of work, school and XC competitions. During the indoor season Robyn pointed out her older brother to me at a meet. I said I want to be introduced! Well let's say Bri had eyes on other ladies (we were surrounded by girls in spanks and I was RACEWALKING!). So no reason I didn't stand out. Though in the spring our team traveled to Flordia/Disney to race. I begged I believe to spend the day in Disney with Robyn because her family had come to see her race and Bri was with them. PERFECT! So to sum this all up Robyn introduced me to the best man ever!

 In  December of 2004 I graduated from undergrad school at Mansfield University in PA. I spent the spring subbing and applying to every school I could find an address too. After lots of thinking I decided I needed to go to grad school ASAP. One weekend I was in PA visiting Bri his oldest sister Heather approached me and let me know she was moving back to Williamsport and if I wanted I could move in to her apartment with her while I go to school. At that point I had been applying to grad schools without my parents knowing. I had been accepted to Bloomsburg University about 40mins from Williamsport. I was thrilled that everything was coming together.

Sidenote: I was not telling my parents because I have been tightly attached by the cord for 22 years. I did go to college in PA but always had plans to move back to NY. This plan I was making had no long term view of moving back to NY. I was only going to take the PA test for my degree. I gave my parents a 2weeks notice that I was moving out, I had an apartment, I was accepted to grad school and I got a summer job down there.

I moved down there around May 2005. I moved in with Heather and once again started experiencing all the same things I went through in college. I stink living and dealing with other women. I have major communication issues and just no patience. I just did not know how to talk with people I jsut snapped and snapped. I was the worst roommate. After a few years we moved into a townhouse with Amanda. After a few months I moved out and got my own apartment.

Looking back now and ALL the huge things that went down I would not be where I am without any of those ladies. Robyn was there to get my PA journey started. Heather allowed me to live with her for CHEAP! She also dealt with a 23yr old huge baby. Amanda has been my best friend and always easy to turn to talk about anything. But what they all have in common that they all learned from their amazing parents in their honesty. They always have explained to me that I have a lot of growing to do. I am still learning that. Can I notice now when it is time to talk or walk away and not say anything. Yea but not always but they are always there to run with me to talk it out. Or they know if I am too quiet because I am trying not to get worked up about something.

To my amazing family.....I love you for helping me everyday become a better person. You were in my thoughts up every hill today and I thank you very teaching me everyday.

QOTD: Who would you say has made a huge impact in your life lately? Did they impact your running, school, or life in general?

2 comments:

fancy nancy said...

What a great way to honor the people who have gotten you where you are!!

Christy @ My Dirt Road Anthem: A Runner's Blog said...

What a great and open post. I love reading these kinds of things. I would not be where I am today without my sisters and my brother. They have always been there for me every step of the way.