Sunday, October 23, 2011

Monster Dash recap and a great day

Well I was really hoping to run this race with one of my GOTR girls but her dad showed up to report that she had been up all night sick to her stomach. I was also up throughout the night with a MAJOR migraine. Bri was up with me making sure I was ok. I had to drink a nalgene bottle of Gatorade and take drugs before I was able to fall back asleep. So when I showed up and she wasn't there to run I contemplated cheering Amanda and Heather on and not running.

We got our packets easily but they gave me the wrong size shirt....bummer. This was the first year for this race and it was going well so far. Labeled well for parking and packet pickup. So I decided to run but see how I felt as my stomach was a tad bit upset.

We got started right at 9am as the guy used his iPhone to start the gun right at 9. We made the first turn and people started "saying aren't we supposed to turn right?" Yup the leader and most of us in the front turned right. UGH! People started yelling at the leaders to stop as Heather and I turned around and weaved through strollers and such to get back up front. Shortly after the mile mark I was thinking hmm I think Heather and I are 2nd and 3rd. I had no intentions of breaking away or falling back from her because I still do not want to run without one of them. Then a little later Heather asked if we were 2nd and 3rd. I looked back to see our gap on the next women and we had about 50yds. So we picked it up a little to open the gap. At the turn around we still held a nice gap. Around this time we made missed another wrong turn as the volunteers were at the wrong corner. Annoying! We then got to see where Manda was and she was doing great around 5/6th women!! Heather and I did whatever we could to just hold or placing and did not slow down or speed up. Close to the finish I told her to go through first. We finished 24:05ish 7:47 pace. I will take that on my first race racing back from the half and medical s***. My belly felt better because I think I pushed all the drainage out by the finish line. Heather and I turned around quickly to run Manda in who we saw just prior to the last turn. We got her to the finish line to get a FAST time for her!

Even with 2 wrong turns my GPS still said exactly 3.1 but my time might have been under 24 if I didn't have to get started again at the start line.

This was a race that people dressed up at. I had black wings in my car that I was going to wear if my GOTR girly showed up. But I still wore my cute little girls skirt that I got at Wally World.

(Thanks for the pic Heather that I stole from your blog!)

We all got a medal today too!

Us girls spent the rest of the day together for lunch, seeing Footloose, and a little shopping. I came home exhausted that I couldn't keep my eyes open. I feel asleep on the couch around 6pm and moved from the couch to bed at 8pm. 

This AM I was up around 7am got cleaning done and now at 9:30 am I have it all done and ready to relax with the kitties!!

QOTD: Ever show up sick to a race and then feel better by the time you are finished? Who has worn a costume to a race? What did you wear?


Vanessa @ Gourmet Runner said...

Great job racing, that's a speedy pace in my book! I sometimes don't feel great at the start of the race, but usually that's nerves.anxiety more than actual pain.

The Hungry Runner Girl said...

AHHH Awesomew job!! I want to see Footloose so bad. GREAT JOB and you look so pretty!

Christy @ My Dirt Road Anthem: A Runner's Blog said...

Great job with the run, love the skirt!

Carrie said...

Great job! How fun to do an inaugural race. No, I've never worn a costume. Looks like a fun time.

Carrie said...

Great job on the run. How fun to do an inaugural race and no, I've never raced in a costume. Would be fun if I could ever plan ahead enough.

Courtney said...

Aww I love the outfit, totally cute!! Crazy they didnt have the race marked well for you. Never been sick for a run yet but I am sure that I would probably bow out cause I am a baby!